Canon is a big name in the camera industry and has been providing good quality products for quite some time now. It is a well-known fact that whenever you go for Cannon cameras, you are always guaranteed to get the best camera for all your needs. If you own a Cannon DSLR camera but have lost its charger then you don’t need to worry because we are going to be telling you guys, how to charge Canon camera battery without charger.
Battery is probably the most important component of your camera or any other device for that matter of fact. Without a good battery life you cannot enjoy the proper feel of portability or stay productive for a longer period of time, even while you are on the go. There are a number of ways in which you can keep the battery of you Cannon cameras alive. We are going to be discussing three methods to boost the battery without charger. So stick around and find out.
USB wall Plug
Everyone has a wall plug in their homes which is very common to charge your mobile devices. If you have that wall plug with you then you can also charge your camera as well. You will be needing a USB cable which is compatible with your camera. If you are using Cannon camera then a USB 3.0 to USB-C or USB 2.0 Type A to Mini B cable will get the job done pretty accurately. You also need to check whether your camera even has a USB port or not. If not, then this step will not work for you but don’t worry most DSLR cameras are equipped with a USB port.
When you have checked everything, you simply need to connect one end of USB cable with your camera and the other end with your charger. Plug the adapter in wall and turn the switch on. Make sure the batteries are placed in your camera perfectly and the camera is reading the batteries. You also need to turn off the camera as it is charging, because it will cause some issues and might prevent the battery to charge. Also check that the battery compartment door is closed perfectly before you turn the switch on. It will boost the battery in approximately 3 hours or less.
Next method is to charge your camera with a power bank. For those of you who don’t know what a power bank is, it is a portable and compact device which stores in power so you can boost the battery of your mobile or other USB compatible devices with ease. You can easily find a power bank with different power and multiple ports too.
Before you charge the battery of your camera with a power bank, you need to check what kind of power bank will be good for you. For this you can take out the battery of your charger and check how many milli-amperes of energy your battery can draw.
Mostly a Cannon DSLR battery is 1400mAh or lower. So any power bank with 10,000 to 30,000 mAh power will be adequate enough for you to charge battery for more than one time. This can act as a perfect travel buddy and you can charge your other devices along with camera as well.
To charge the battery of your camera with DSLR, you need to connect the USB cable with power bank and other end with camera and you are good to go. Just make sure your power bank is turned on and also check that your power bank is fully charged and able to provide you the needed power.
Charge with Computer or Laptop
If you have a computer or a laptop with you then you can also charger the battery of your camera with it. But to charge the battery with this method you need to check whether your camera supports it or not. There are many cameras which don’t support computer charging and if your camera is one of those then this step won’t work for you. But if you are using a Cannon point and shoot camera then this step will work for you. To check the compatibility of your camera you can either check it on the user manual which came with it, or you can go online and search your camera’s model to read about it.
To charge your camera turn it off and make sure that the batteries are placed perfectly inside it. Next thing you need to do is check that the memory card is also inside the camera, as some cameras might not charger if memory card is removed. Then simply connect the USB cable with your camera and other end with your computer to charge the battery.
Why you would require a Charger for some Cameras?
There are some cameras which might not let you charge the battery through these steps and you will be needing a charger to charge them. Below mentioned are some of the reasons why you would require a charger for your Cannon cameras.
- The first and major reason is that not all cameras can support the in-camera USB charging. If your camera is one of them then you will be needing a charger to boost the battery. If your camera does not support in-camera USB charging then above mentioned steps won’t work for you.
- Another reason is that mostly the power supplied by USB cable is not adequate enough to charge the battery. Even though it will charge the battery but it will take much more time then usually needed.
- Third reason can be that your camera does not even have a USB port altogether.
Some tips to keep batteries healthy
To keep your device running for a longer period of time you need to keep your battery healthy. There are some useful tips which you can keep in mind to prolong the life of your battery.
- The first thing to keep on mind is that you should always keep your battery charged and never let it stay for a long time while being low. Keep your battery charged and never let it go down to zero percent.
- You should always keep your battery in cool and dry place. High temperature can never be good for your battery and the life of your battery. Store your battery where the temperature is low and where there is no moisture at all.
- Keep the battery compartment of your camera clean and always closed safely. Too much dust can ruin your camera compartment and your battery too.
- Always use good quality and genuine cables to charge the batteries. Never use counterfeit or low-quality cables or charging equipment as it can harm the battery in more ways than one. Try to use the genuine cables which originally came with your Cannon DSLR.
- Make sure to remove or unplug the charger when the battery is charged. Don’t keep the charger connected even after the battery is full as it can overcharge the battery which is never a good thing.
Can you charge all cameras without charger?
You can only charge those cameras without a battery charger which can support in-camera USB charging or which have a USB port in them. If your camera lacks these qualities then you will be needing a battery charger to charge it.
Is it safe to charge the battery of Cannon cameras without charger?
As long as you are using good quality cables and equipment you can charge the battery in a carefree manner every time without a charger. You can charge the batteries while they are inside your camera as well as after taking them out.
How to avoid battery issues?
To avoid any issues with your battery you need to use proper and genuine equipment while charging it. Also take care of the batteries to prolong the life. Keep them away from extreme temperature conditions. Never overcharge the batteries or keep them low for a longer period of time.
Can power banks damage the battery of your camera?
No, power banks are safe and they cannot harm the battery of your camera. Just check the specifications of your battery and choose the power bank accordingly.
Well, there you have it, this was the article and we hope it covered everything you needed to know. We talked about some simple methods to boost the battery of your Cannon cameras, even if you don’t have a charger. But it is recommended that always use the compatible and original charger which came with your camera. Keep extra batteries with you all the time when you are out to shoot videos or to get the perfect shot. If you don’t have a charger or it got lost due to some reason then you can use these above mentioned methods to charge the battery.